Race Bib Numbers Can Be Used In a T-shirt Quilt
- Have Questions?
If you have ever Googled “What to do with race bib numbers”, I am sure you have seen all sorts of fun, stupid and silly uses of them. From wrapping gifts to papering your walls, the ideas are out there.
But here is a new use for your race bib numbers – make a quilt or pillow with them. That’s right, the actual Tyvec race number can be used in a pillow or quilt.
Tyvec washes well and only gets softer with every wash cycle. Other quilt companies will use your numbers, but they may scan and print them on fabric. Why bother? Just use the actual race number!
Here are three approaches to using your race numbers in a quilt or pillow:
- Have a quilt made using only race bib numbers. The bibs are not sewn direct to each other; rather they are sewn to and “framed” on pieces of T-shirt material. You could specify that you want the race numbers mounted on just one color family – such as all different blues. Or you could have them mounted on many different colors of fabric. Either option will make for a spectacular looking quilt.
- Intermix your race numbers with race T-shirts. Again, your bib numbers could be backed with material that matches your T-shirts or just one color family. If you have dull T-shirts, mounting the numbers on bright colored material will liven up your quilt.
- Mount the race number on its race T-shirt. So if you run the Hot Cocoa Classic 5K and Marshmallow Mountain Mile at Mt. Brighton, you would have the race bib from that race sewn on that particular T-shirt. You would just need to determine if you wanted the bib mounted to the design on the back or front of the T-shirt.
To help remember which T-shirt and which year’s race the number came from, write this information on the back of the race number with a Sharpie after each race. When you put a T-shirt aside for a quilt, pair that T-shirt up with its race number so you won’t have to figure it out later.
What you need to do to have your race numbers used in your quilt.
- Go to the How to Order a T-shirt Quilt page on our website for step-by-step directions on how to order a T-shirt quilt.
- Print out and complete the order form.
- Box up your T-shirts and race bib numbers. Let us know how you want the numbers used. If you want the race number sewn on a specific race T-shirt, use a safety pin and pin the race number through one of its holes to the collar on the side of the T-shirt you want it mounted on. See photo the photo here.
- Ship out your T-shirts to Too Cool T-shirt Quilts. The shipping address is on top of the order form.
- We will let you know when your T-shirts arrive and will work with you to get your quilt to the size you want.
Options and Other Information
- A border adds pizzazz to any T-shirt quilt. Read more about adding a border to your quilt.
- If you don’t have enough T-shirts for a quilt or have too many T-shirts for the quilt size you would like, consider having a T-shirt quilt pillow made. Read more about pillows here.
- On the back of a quilt is a solid colored fabric. Read about how to choose what color to use on the back of your quilt.
- Also on the back of a quilt you will see the long arm quilting. And a Too Cool T-shirt Quilt’s quilting is awesome. Read about our quilting here.
If you haven’t started saving your race numbers, now you have a great reason to save them.
To learn more about having a T-shirt quilt made from running gear, download our Athletic T-shirt Quilt Guide.